All Recipes / Leche Flan
The original recipe for this traditional, creme caramel-like Filipino dessert was handed down to Rachel by her mother, and her grandmother before that. Enjoy this generation’s twist that uses crunchy bacon brittle as the base for the flan.
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 condensed milk
- 1 evaporated milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 pcs calamansi
- 1 pack Baken Bacon Brittle
- Cut the calamansi into halves and squeeze out the juice. Discard the juice and seeds, while keeping the calamansi skin.
- In a separate bowl combine egg yolks, condensed milk, and evaporated milk.
- Using your hands, stir the mixture in a clockwise motion (only stir in one direction, this will give you a smooth texture after it set).
- Drop the calamansi skins into the mixture and let it sit for 15 mins.
- Prepare baking tins (llanera or oval baking tins recommended) with lightly crushed Baken bacon brittle and 2 tbsp white sugar. Place the tins on a heated stove until it melts to a nice golden brown.
- Remove the calamansi skins, ensuring not to leave any skin and pulp behind.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth into the heated baking tins.
- Steam for 30- 40 minutes until it sets.
- Once cooled down, add a plate on top of the tin and flip over. Serve chilled.